What We Do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS), an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), provides a diverse range of specialized and one-of-a-kind tertiary mental health and substance use services for children, adolescents and adults across the province. Our overarching goal is to work with the Regional Health Authorities and other key stakeholders to ensure that everyone in British Columbia has access to the specialized mental health services they need, when they need them, regardless of where they live.
In addition to delivering these clinical services, BCMHSUS provides provincial leadership for system-wide improvement through its work in: health promotion and illness prevention; knowledge exchange; and research and academic teaching. Recognizing that people with mental health challenges may also have co-occurring substance use concerns, the assessment and treatment of substance use issues is an integral part of our programs.
BCMHSUS is responsible for the following provincial specialized mental health & substance use programs:
- The Youth and Young Adult Substance Use Treatment Program
- Heartwood Centre for Women
- Burnaby Centre for Mental Health and Addictions
- The Forensic Psychiatric Services Commission which includes the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital and 6 regional clinics
- BC Mental Health and Addictions Research Institute