Toward Flourishing for All is a best advice paper on mental health promotion and mental health disorders prevention policy.
Toward Flourishing for All: National Mental Health Promotion and Mental Illness Prevention Policy for Canadians was developed by BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services and the Alberta Health Services Board, in partnership with a number of national and provincial organizations.
The Mental Health Commission of Canada utilized the paper in the development of a national mental health framework and strategy, as well as provinces and territories in the development and implementation of mental health promotion and mental illness prevention policy within their jurisdiction.
This paper was based on deliberations from the National Mental Health Promotion Think Tank held in Calgary, November 2008.
Proceedings of the Think Tank can be found in the document:
To inform and stimulate discussions at the Think Tank, the Pan-Canadian Committee commissioned background papers:
This work builds on the 2007 Mental Health Promotion Symposium “No Health Without Mental Health: Community Approaches to Mental Health Promotion,” hosted by BCMHSUS in conjunction with the 2007 International Union of Health Promotion and Education conference in Vancouver.
Following the symposium, conversations continued among a group of enthusiastic mental health promotion experts from across Canada. This group evolved into the Pan-Canadian Steering Committee for Mental Health Promotion and Mental Illness Prevention, co-chaired by Mr. Peter Coleridge, Vice President, Education and Population Health at BCMHSUS; and Ms. Beth Evans, Director Mental Health Promotion, Alberta Health Services-Mental Health and Addiction.
The group hosted a National Think Tank in Calgary on November 4, 2008, to engage key decision makers, experienced practitioners, and academics in dialogue about mental health promotion and mental health disorders prevention policy development in Canada.
- Peter Coleridge, BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services
- Beth Evans, Alberta Health Services - Alberta Mental Health Board
- Mary Bartram / Howard Chodos, Mental Health Commission of Canada
- Marion Cooper, Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
- Jayson Doll, Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion
- Lori Idlout, Nunavut Embrace Life Council
- Suzanne Jackson, Centre for Health Promotion, University of Toronto
- Marianne Kobus-Matthews, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Carl Lakaski, Public Health Agency of Canada
- Bonnie Pape, Canadian Mental Health Association
- Ken Ross, Department of Health, New Brunswick
- Andrea Stevens Lavigne, Centre for Health Promotion, University of Toronto