What We Do
The Forensic Psychiatric Services Commission (FPSC) provides court-related forensic psychiatric assessment, treatment and community case management to adults with mental health disorders who are in conflict with the law. In doing so, our specialized forensic mental health teams work to enable the re-integration of patients back into the community.
Specialized assessment, treatment and case management services are provided at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, a secure inpatient facility located in Coquitlam, BC (a suburb of Vancouver) and 6 regional community clinics located in Vancouver, Victoria, Surrey, Nanaimo, Kamloops and Prince George. These services include:
- Court-ordered assessments
- Inpatient and community-based services to persons found Not Criminally Responsible on Account of Mental Disorder (NCRMD) or Unfit to Stand Trial
- Psychiatric / Psychological Pre-sentence Assessment Reports
- Hospital treatment of adults with mental health disorders who are in conflict with the law and in provincial correctional centres, admitted on temporary absence to the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital
- Court-ordered assessment and treatment of individuals on bail, probation and conditional sentences
The FPSC supports a team approach to patient care and service delivery. Our specialized mental health teams include psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, social workers and rehabilitation specialists. The FPSC teams work together to ensure patients are supported with a coordinated and comprehensive range of services, and also collaborate with other professionals and community partners.