Forensic Psychiatric Hospital
Forensic Psychiatric Hospital is a secure, 190-bed facility that treats and rehabilitates individuals who have come in conflict with the law and are deemed unfit to stand trial or not criminally responsible due to mental illness (NCRMD). The goal is to restore fitness to attend court proceedings and/or reintegrate patients gradually and safely into the community. It also serves individuals transferred temporarily from correctional facilities to be assessed or receive treatment for a mental illness under the Mental Health Act. The facility consists of 9 clinical units (5 secure, 3 closed and 1 open unit).
Located in a peaceful, park-like setting, the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital supports patients with high quality, specialized clinical services, as well as a comprehensive range of vocational and rehabilitative programs.
Mailing address: 70 Colony Farm Road, Coquitlam, BC, V3C 5X9
Visiting the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital
Forensic Psychiatric Hospital is located at:
70 Colony Farm Road
Coquitlam, BC, V3C 5X9
For all visitors to the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, please be advised that the buildings, grounds and parking areas are smoke-free. We kindly ask that you support our staff and patients by not bringing or sending tobacco or tobacco products to the facility.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: 7-8:30pm
- Saturdays, Sundays and holidays: For Hawthorne House and the Cottages only, 11am-8:30pm; for all other units, 2-4pm and 7-8:30pm.
Any visits outside the usual visiting hours must be arranged through the Nurse-in-Charge of the unit and the patient's treatment team.
We welcome and encourage the involvement of family in the care and treatment of our patients. Families are often the first to know when their loved ones are distressed or experiencing emotional difficulties. The treatment team values this information and welcomes your involvement. If you have any questions or information to share please do not hesitate to contact the unit via the Switchboard at 604-524-7700. The Nurse-in-Charge will be pleased to put you in touch with the treatment team.
The FPSC Family Information Guide contains general information to help families understand forensic psychiatric services in BC.
Each patient is limited to a maximum of 2 adult and 2 minor visitors at any one time. If more than 2 adults would like to visit the same patient at the same time, they must rotate turns. In exceptional circumstances and with prior approval from the unit and the treatment team, more than the above-stated number of visitors may be allowed.
Children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult and must be supervised at all times while visiting the hospital. Children are not allowed to wander unattended in any area of the hospital, are not allowed to play on the grounds and must behave appropriately at all times.
General Visiting Regulations:
- On arrival, visitors are required to report to the Security Office (immediately to the right of the front entrance) to fill in the visitor registry and to confirm their identity and the specific patient to be visited
- Security will issue a visitor tag in exchange for a suitable piece of identification, which will be returned at the end of the visit
- The number of visitors can be restricted by the Nurse-in-Charge at any time
- Cameras, video recorders or any other recording devices are not allowed in patient care areas
- Devices that are able to access the Internet are not allowed at any time; a complete list of restricted items is available from the patient’s treatment team or the Nurse-in-Charge of the unit
- Staff will use their discretion in determining the appropriateness of items brought by visitors
- Visitors are only allowed to visit the patient who they identified at the Security Office
- Visitors must remain in the area designated by nursing staff
- The Nurse-in-Charge may terminate or modify visits for clinical and / or security reasons, and reserves the right to refuse visiting privileges pending a review
- Visitors will not be allowed access if they appear to be intoxicated
- Visitors and the items they bring to the unit may be electronically searched
- The hospital is not responsible for lost or stolen property
Please note: The Forensic Psychiatric Hospital is equipped with closed-circuit surveillance cameras, and all visitors will be subject to observation by our security staff while on the premises.
Visiting on the Ashworth Units:
In addition to the above general regulations:
- A maximum of 2 visitors per patient will be allowed at one time on Ashworth units
- Visitors are not allowed to bring the following items to the Ashworth units: wallets, purses, handbags, backpacks, parcels / packages, bags, food, illegal substances, alcohol, knives or any weapons, glass or metal containers, medications, lighters or matches, or gifts for patients
- Special arrangements for food can be made with the Nurse-in-Charge prior to visiting
- Locked storage areas are provided for the safekeeping of handbags, etc., or if preferred, visitors may take these items back to their vehicle
- All visiting in the Ashworth units will be supervised by nursing staff