Use your voice to help improve healthcare and research at BCMHSUS.
From our healthcare services to our
institute, we are committed to incorporating the patient voice in everything we do. As patients, clients and families, you are the experts of your
own experiences and are valuable partners to help improve our services,
programs, projects and policies.
The BCMHSUS Patient and Family Partner Network is a provincial network of people across BC with lived experience of mental health, substance use, forensic services and/or incarceration. Network members will work in partnership with staff, physicians, and researchers to improve healthcare at BCMHSUS.
Patient and Family Partners are screened, trained, and supported to participate in a wide range of engagement initiatives to help make decisions about BCMHSUS services, programs, projects, and policies.
Patient and family partners will participate in engagement opportunities to help design, plan and deliver services, programs, and policies at BCMHSUS.
Engagement may look like:
- Participating on working groups and committees
- Delivering training to new healthcare providers and leaders by sharing your story
- Interviewing new staff to ensure we are hiring the right people to serve patients and families
- Reviewing policies, resources and handbooks to give feedback
- Participating in focus groups or one-on-one conversations
Patient and family partners of BCMHSUS will:
- Receive training, education, and support to build skills
- Share experiences, knowledge, and ideas on how to improve healthcare and research at BCMHSUS
- Connect with other patients and families who want to make change
Any person living in British Columbia with lived or living experience of concurrent mental health and substance use, forensics, and incarceration is invited to join the network to help healthcare leaders and providers design a better way forward, together. This includes:
Join the Network!
- Past and current patients/clients of Burnaby Centre for Mental Health and Addiction, Heartwood Centre for Women, Forensic Psychiatric Services, and Correctional Health Services
- Families and friends of past and current patients/clients
- People with lived or living experience of concurrent mental health and substance use challenges
- People with lived or living experience of incarceration at a BC Correctional Facility
If you are an interested in becoming a Patient and Family Partner, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Lizzy Matzinger (Coordinator, Patient Experience and Community Engagement) at 604-202-2256.