As a program of the Provincial Health Services Authority, we have a shared purpose, vision and values to focus and inspire our work.
We are a Provincial Health Services Authority program as well as an academic health sciences organization affiliated with the University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University. BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services contributes to the shared goal of improving British Columbians' health by doing the following:
- Delivering quality health services
- Coordinating and setting standards for selected province-wide specialized services
- Leading system-wide improvements and creating province-wide partnerships
- Implementing population and public health initiatives
- Advancing research and applying it to improve patient care, decision making and planning
- Creating a learning culture by promoting the development of health care professionals through a commitment to excellence in education and training
Our shared purpose, vision and values focus and inspire our work.
Inspire and unite specialized teams to create a healthier province for all.
Boldly create an equitable, anti-racist and culturally safe health system where everyone thrives.
We show empathy, care and compassion to those we serve and to one another. We believe that simple acts of kindness matter.
We honour the value and dignity of all individuals. We treat others the way they wish to be treated.
We recognize the advantages and disadvantages experienced by patients, families, caregivers, staff and communities. We strive to create just, equitable health systems and structures that continuously provide fair outcomes.
We are fearless in doing the right thing. We support each other in respectfully saying and doing hard things, including truth-telling. We call out colonialist practices that must be replaced to build an effective health system.
We strive for province-wide solutions by embracing partnerships and teamwork. We listen, share knowledge and welcome opportunities to learn and grow.