At the 190-bed Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, the only facility of its kind in B.C., we care for the most challenging and seriously ill people in the province.
These individuals are referred to us by the courts or BC Corrections, and we provide them with psychiatric assessment, treatment and rehabilitation. Our goal is to restore their fitness to stand trial or reintegrate them into their communities while ensuring public safety.
Our patients have experienced trauma and can be prone to disruptive behaviour. Providing them with the most effective care and treatment while ensuring everyone's safety and security requires a highly specialized and trained interdisciplinary team of staff and physicians.
To address our unique challenges and improve the effectiveness of our services, we commissioned a comprehensive external review in the spring of 2018. This review led to the establishment of a new hospital leadership team and the development of a comprehensive 18-month action plan.
The goals of the action plan are as follows:
- Improve patient, staff and public safety
- Improve clinical service delivery and patient-centred care
- Strengthen and integrate leadership, inter-disciplinary teamwork and professional development
Review it here: Forensic Psychiatric Hospital Action Plan 2018-2020
We announced five immediate actions in September 2018:
- Hire additional security officers and enhance their training.
- Establish new teams of clinical-security staff who specialize in safety at secure hospitals.
- Expand orientation and training for all staff in emergency response as well as therapeutic and relational security, which teaches staff to be acutely aware of their surroundings and build a deep rapport with and understanding of patients in order to anticipate, de-escalate and prevent aggression.
- Increase 24/7 supervision and leadership.
- Hire additional staff for better patient care.
- Further invest in staff training and safety and security procedures
- Improve reporting systems
- Reduce environmental risks
- Facilitate improved facility maintenance
- Conduct patient-needs assessments
- Evaluate and review our current care model and align it with patient needs
- Expand trauma-informed practice
- Improve reporting to the BC Review Board
- Maximize resources and efficiency related to patient assessment, communication and flow
- Develop and implement provincial forensic mental-health guidelines and standards
- Improve documentation and records
- Clarify leadership roles and responsibilities and improve committee effectiveness
- Improve employee engagement
- Generate staff core competencies and invest in professional development
We post updates monthly.
If you are a staff member of BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services and you have question about the improvements at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.