At the 190-bed Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, the only facility of its kind in B.C., we care for the most challenging and seriously ill people in the province.
These individuals are referred to us by the courts or BC Corrections, and we provide them with psychiatric assessment, treatment and rehabilitation. Our goal is to restore their fitness to stand trial or reintegrate them into their communities while ensuring public safety.
Our patients have experienced trauma and can be prone to disruptive behaviour. Providing them with the most effective care and treatment while ensuring everyone's safety and security requires a highly specialized and trained interdisciplinary team of staff and physicians.
To address our unique challenges and improve the effectiveness of our services, we commissioned an external review in the spring of 2018. This led to the establishment of a new hospital leadership team and the development of a comprehensive action plan to implement the most current leading practices in safe, secure, integrated, trauma-informed and patient-centered care.
We announced five immediate actions in September 2018:
- Hire additional security officers and enhance their training.
- Establish new teams of clinical-security staff who specialize in safety at secure hospitals.
- Expand orientation and training for all staff in emergency response as well as therapeutic and relational security, which teaches staff to be acutely aware of their surroundings and build a deep rapport with and understanding of patients in order to anticipate, de-escalate and prevent aggression.
- Increase 24/7 supervision and leadership.
- Hire additional staff for better patient care.
If you are a staff member of BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services and you have question about the improvements at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.